Facilities Management 1
The Business Challenge:
- A large, listed insurance group with in excess of 100,000 sqm of leased properties across the country
- Facility Service delivery outsourced to multiple providers across differing service streams
- Cost disparity between states
- No centralised focus at management level
- A series of challenges such as:
- Property project team isolated from FM teams at state level – construction projects missed optimisation opportunities for ongoing FM service.
- How to restructure current staffing to centralise nationally and deal with structural changes at state level
- Local management buy in
- Standardisation of service contracts
- Spend on FM services was not managed or benchmarked
Phase 1: Initiating the Project
- Identify the necessary internal management systems to be impacted
- Identify state legislative requirements and determine a ‘highest and best’ national approach
- Identify the key players at state level and appoint to work group
Phase 2: Scoping
- Work together to develop an understanding of the goals and timeframe for implementation:
- What services are in and what services are out of scope?
- Roles and responsibilities for Property team vs Facilities Management Team
- OH&S / HSE / BCA Guidelines
- Site specific requirements (interviews / studies / validation)
- Implementation methodology
- Manage geographically separate team members
Phase 3: Implementation
- Adopt a centralised “FM centre” reporting to the National Property Manager to develop policy and manage external contracts, especially for construction projects where FM provisioning is ongoing.
- Provide a series of service level agreements for key deliverables and templates for others
- Development of a standardised approach to national FM service delivery
- Develop a reporting regime at state level with dotted line report to National team
Outcomes to Customer
- Optimum cost outcomes – reduced vendor obligations and longer term contracts developed, based on performance
- Standardisation of FM service delivery and creation of a national FM team, driving continuous improvement
- A dynamic team that work together to anticipate problems and provide innovative approaches to solving problems.